💪 More Resources for Our Neighbors
CHMA had been focusing on our Crown Heights neighbors during the June 21th – July 19th phone line pause. We had a backlog of over 10,000 calls. Despite our best efforts, our volunteer team was only able to call about 2,000 people back, most of whom had self-identified as residing in Crown Heights. In realizing our capacity, we are directing everyone who self-identified as living beyond Crown Heights towards the resources below.
Additional Emergency Food Assistance
- The City of New York is also offering COVID-19 related food services. For a full list of programs offered please visit their COVID-19 Food Assistance web page or call 311 or (866) 888-8777. One of these programs is the NYC Food Delivery Assistance program. The city has also put together a map of food pantries and food distribution centers in NYC; you can input your address and find a location near you.
- City Harvest also has a similar map: City Harvest Food Map that is up-to-date with all open food banks, soup kitchens, and NYC DOE Grab and Go Meal locations. You can input your address into their map or call (646) 412-0721.
- Text FOOD to 726879 to find a food pantry pickup location near you. It takes 2 minutes to sign up via chat-bot, and you can make a reservation to pick up food at a pantry within walking distance of your home, no questions asked. The app is in 9 languages and includes 170 pantries across all 5 boroughs.
- East New York and Cypress Hills: http://cypresshills.org/
Sometimes it’s more than groceries!
- Are you looking for emotional support?
- NYC Well – text “WELL” to 65173, or call 1-888-NYC-WELL
- Crisis Text Line: text “HOME” to 741741
- Are you having issues with your rent, landlord, or utilities?
- Met Council on Housing: 212-979-0611, tenants’ rights hotline
- Do you qualify for SNAP benefits or cash assistance? You can apply at https://a069-access.nyc.gov/accesshra/
- Are you eligible for COVID Rent relief? You can apply at https://covidrentrelief.hcr.ny.gov/
- Are you looking for immigration support services?
- You can search for a service provider near you using https://hitesite.org/ under the Immigration Support Category
- CUNY Citizenship Now! – Medgar Evers College Immigration Center can be reached at (718) 270-6292
- CUNY Citizenship Now! provides free, high quality, and confidential immigration law services to help individuals and families on their path to U.S. citizenship.
- New Sanctuary Coalition also provides information on immigration rights and finding sanctuary.
- Are you looking for medical care? Try the Community Healthcare Network (CHN) – Crown Heights Health Center located at 1167 Nostrand Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11225, (718) 778-0198
- Provides primary and behavioral care, nutrition, dental, and wellness support services
- General resource compilation: NYC United Against Coronavirus – Resources and Information